Many factors influence our weight, such as varying activity levels, widely available, affordable and highly processed food, a change in the nature of our diets, stress and mental health concerns, environmental factors and increasingly busy and demanding lifestyles.
With more people in Australia now outside a healthy weight than those within a healthy weight range, one key message must be stressed first and foremost; it’s not your fault.
The way we live has changed dramatically over the past 50 years, resulting in improved efficiency in how we live and work, at the expense of our health and well-being.
The impact of being outside a healthy weight range and its associated health problems, including but not limited to heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer, places a significant burden on individuals, families, communities and governments.
It is the need for a holistic approach to reverse what has been a continually growing problem in Australia that WLC Medical aims to fill, in providing an affordable and evidence-based service that will benefit those in need in managing their health.
WLC Medical offers a comprehensive program customised to each person’s needs, from initial consult to continued management beyond reaching your target goal with annual check-ups, to re-assess and review.
12 Week Start-Up (12WSU)
- 1 appointment per week over 12 weeks.
- Week 1 begins with a GP consult for clinical history and assessment.
- GP appointment includes blood test referral and treatment plan.
- Patient’s choice of order of the next 3 consults between the Dietitian, Physiotherapist and Psychologist over the following 3 weeks.
- Weeks 5-8 commence with the GP again, following the same order with the other 3 clinicians over the following 3 weeks, as with Weeks 9-12.
- By the end of the 12th week, the patient has seen each clinician 3 times, with repeat blood test and assessments performed to evaluate progress.
- Initial consults will generally be longer than subsequent consults, with duration depending on the clinician, e.g. 60min initial with the Physiotherapist and 75min initial with the Clinical Psychologist.
3 Month Follow-Up (3MFU)
- Follow up appointments will be scheduled as 4 appointments over 4 weeks, at 3 months from the patient’s last appointment with each clinician during the 12WSU.
- Appointments again begin with the GP, followed by the order previously decided by the patient during the 12WSU, seeing each clinician once.
- A follow-up blood test and assessments are made during these consults, with review of prescribed interventions, efficacy of treatment and potential barriers encountered since the patient’s previous appointments.
- Patients are welcome to book appointments with any clinician between the 12WSU and 3MFU, for any reason either related or unrelated to their weight management.
- Should patients require continued regular support following their 3MFU, they will be recommended for a further 3MFU with each clinician.
12 Month Check-Up (12MCU)
- Once a patient has reached what is collectively deemed by the clinicians and patient a point of independent management, they will be scheduled to see each clinician at 12 months following their last appointment with each clinician. This is continued annually to best prevent relapse.
- The 12MCU will also consist of 4 appointments over 4 weeks as in the 3MFU, with repeat blood test and assessment of their prescribed plan.
- Patients are welcome to book appointments with any clinician between the 3MFU and 12MCU, for any reason either related or unrelated to their weight management.
- Should significant relapse occur with regard to their weight management, they will be recommended to recommence the 12WSU with review of their program.